Friday, October 28, 2005

Ever Present Thoughts on Teaching

I was talking to another graduate student today. She was one of the TAs who did not get offered a teaching assistanceship for this spring. She really likes teaching, but wasn't offered a class. I was offered a class, but I don't like teaching. It is so unpleasantly ironic. I can't believe that when I declined to teach next semester, she wasn't given the position, especially since she's already taught the subject. Instead they offered it to someone who was teaching stats this semester. I can understand if they need to keep the assistanceships within the department, but the person they offered the class to wasn't from my department either. Ultimately, she declined and they gave the class to a professor.

My friend was telling me that it was a blessing in disguise to not be teaching, since she's going to be so busy next semester. I still feel bad about it, though.

I really wish that I understood what makes people react so differenlty to the same sitution (well, almost the same). Why does she enjoy teaching so much and I can't stand it?

Once again, my class size is dwindling. I have a really hard time not taking it personally when my students don't want to come to class. The other graduate student was telling me about an inclass project they did, in which her 65 students stood up and conversed with each other. My class is supposed to have 65 students, but only about 20 ever show up. It's getting to the point where students are requesting extra credit for showing up. It's bad for morale, my own and my students, when so many fail to show up.

I'll be so relieved when the semester is over and I won't be teaching anymore. Although, I did get a positive response from one of my students today. She wrote a paper to make up a test and left a sticky note on the back in which she mentioned that she loved my class. It's so nice to hear positive feedback from students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home