Thursday, November 01, 2007

I got angry at my class today...

When I got to class, the door was locked and all my students were standing outside. It took me 15 minutes to get things handled and we ended up going to another classroom. I was a little upset about it because we are running behind and I wanted to have them take the quiz today. So I started lecturing and saw one student with her cell phone open and she looked like she was texting. I had a flashback to my teaching advisor telling me that he saw people texting in my class and how he expressed that as an indication of my poor teaching and lack of control over my class. Then I had flashbacks to last week when only 7 people showed up and a student was angry and wanted to talk to me after class about how some of the students didn't like the way other students were showing such disrespect for me. And then I had another flashback to last class period when a student showed up 15 minutes before class to see if she could use my book to look up a few things to finish studying for the quiz, and after I explained the quiz had been moved back, she didn't come to class 15 minutes later. And I think it was actually the same girl who was texting. So I just lit into the class about closing their cell phones and not texting in class. I looked straight at her, too. Suddenly the atmosphere changed. She slumped down in her seat and the other students looked uncomfortable, too. At the end of class, when she turned in her quiz, she refused to look at me and threw her drink away angrily.

And I've felt stirred up about it all day. I don't like having to do that. I don't like having the class descend into a power struggle over respect. I don't like teaching and the majority of the class doesn't like me. I wish I hadn't committed to teach again next semester...

3 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger karen said...

Sometimes we have to crack down on those around us - even if we care about them...in fact, sometimes ESPECIALLY if we care about them. More often than not, those involved will get over it. Students are resilient. And if they STILL don't like you, that is their problem, not yours, because your expectations are totally reasonable (I mean, c'mon - texting while in class!?! can you even imagine doing something like that, yourself???).

And maybe next semester will give you the chance to try some new/different strategies - like an experiment! We like experiments!

Easier said, than done, though - I know. So I am still giving you a mental hug, too. =0)

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Karen Jensen said...

Hey, I just came upon your blog through blogher. I wanted to give you an attagirl and say that I, too have had those days. I hate to lose my temper with students, but sometimes that is the only way to get their attention.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger kiki said...

Thanks Karen and Professor J, I really appreciate your encouraging comments. I guess students really are just teenagers for the most part and need a little firm discipline. I hope my teaching days go smoother from now on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home