Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Teaching Realization

Now I understand why teachers call on students. I have always been reluctant to call on students because I deeply feared that a teacher would call on me when I was an undergrad. It didn't matter whether I knew the answer or not, I wasn't about to speak in class. But, I inadvertently called on a student last time we met in class. Her head was bobbing so vigorously in agreement to something I had said that I asked her to share her point of view. At first she thought I was talking to the person in front of her who has the same name as her. But, she finally responded and made a very good point.

Today in class I asked various questions and she readily offered her ideas. I was surprised to see her raise her hand because she had never talked in previous classes. So my realization is this: calling on students and providing them positive feedback about their response frees them to participate in class on their own.

I wish I had realized this sooner. Now I plan to call on students more frequently, but perhaps I should try to make sure it looks like they have something to say before calling on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home