Sunday, January 22, 2006

Articles? Eh!

I think perhaps I was wrong yesterday. Almost all articles are boring. I was so much more interested in reading about the life of James Mark Baldwin after he was forced to resign from Johns Hopkins University in 1909 when he was arrested in a "colored bordello." Not my chioce of words, I'm just citing the article, which also quoted the words used back then. The real kicker? Johns Hopkins then hired John B Watson, who was fired over another scandal a couple years later. He had an affair with his research assistant. His wife became angry and published all his love letters from his research assistant, Rosalie Rainer. If only all articles were this interesting! It would be so much easier than trying to decipher this:

"In addition to appropriating partly new behaviors through imitation, children also learn about themselves and others by reflecting on the moments in the dialectic of personal growth and abstracting these moments from the continuous circular process."

Gah!

2 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Kimberly Brixey said...

I rest my case... see comments to your Jan 21st post about reaching that writing level. The point of writing is to share ideas... to be understood. A few new words that really hone in on your meaning are great but really... can you just imagine an 8 year old "reflecting on moments in the dialectic of [his/her] personal growth and abstracting those moments from the continuous circular process."

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger kiki said...

I agree. I think some psychologists get so far removed from their subject matter (children) that they begin to "abstract" the whole process in a way that is meaningless, but sounds profound to the uninitiated. When some psychologists aren't satisfied with big words, they start making words up, like "interpretants," "emplotment," and "iconic augmentation." Emplotment is my favorite; it means the arrangement of events into a coherent story. I'm going to start using it in place of entrapment, just to spice things up a bit. He, he, he.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home