Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Training Seminar and Antiques

Today I attended the BrainWise training seminar. Overall, it was a great experience and I made contacts with some people I might do research with. Well, in my perception it was good, but I do not always accurately perceive how I come across to others. I may think that the interaction went well, but they may actually think that I am shy, unassuming, and extremely young (and potentially socially inept, but I prefer not to entertain that thought). The two ladies that I might work with both appear to be very productive and pleasant, which is quite the opposite of my coworkers in my previous job (but, we won't dwell on that either). So this is bodes well for my future collaborations.

Afterwards, I browsed in a nearby antique shop. I looove antiques. I found a beautiful vintage wedding dress that I would love to add to my collection of vintage dresses. I also found a side table that perfectly matches the style of my other two side tables. I hope I can afford to buy it soon. I think it is too perfect an opportunity to pass up. All in all, I purchased three very old books. Ever since I acquired a collection of psychology books from the 40s and 50s, I've developed an obsession with old books. It took every ounce of will power I had to keep myself from buying all the old books I saw (well, that and lack of funds). But I hope to one day own a large collection of old books. Their worn spines and gold letterings are so beautiful, and I think that the book from 1905 will be an interesting read. And the fact that I hold a one hundred-year-old book in my hand, penned by an author who lived in a time so different from my own, gives me a sense of awe. The permanency of writing, the desire for expression, the sharing of one's mind and soul through print on page, however aged, is glorious. I wish to know them through their writing, to glimpse the past; it is no different from peeking into a portion of peoples' lives through their blogs.

Then I went to a Scandinavian Furniture shop. The furniture was a stark contrast to the antiques, but I thought they were just as beautiful. I wish I had tens of thousands of dollars to throw away at these stores! Le Sigh! Oh, the agony of not having the means to fulfill my desires for immediate gratification! Oh, well, once again I must wait, but I sometimes find that waiting eventually equates to a missed opportunity. But, perhaps that will not be the case this time.

1 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Kimberly Brixey said...

I love the old books too. I have a psychology book with Margaret Mead and Dr. Spock as contributors. My favorite. Several others, including a How to teach Manners book from the 50's (not as old but whoa! Very vintage in philosophy.) Also a 1890's book on Angel's-- I guess that one is my favorite too.

Enjoy being considered too young while it lasts, believe me, we all eventually get over that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home