Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Yep, I'd call this a blizzard

Just taking a brief look at my profile reveals that I live in Colorado, so I'm not too concerned about revealing my location by blogging about my experiences in the blizzard today. I foolishly thought it would be fine to drive into school and work with Bio Prof for a few hours on the immunoassay. The weather was already bad at 9am. I should have just stayed in! But, I didn't and ended up working until 3pm with Bio Prof because I forgot the kit and had to spend another hour driving back home in the snow to retrieve it. So we started later than expected. But, as we were getting ready to leave, Bio Prof discovered that his special mega cold freezer had tripped the circuit breaker. So he had to call the campus police to let him into the room to flip the switch.

In the meantime, I tried driving home, but I couldn't even make it out of the parking lot. Campus was closed at 12pm and the parking lot was not swept clear of snow. It had piled so high that my car felt like it was swimming and then promptly became stuck in the snow. I wasn't going anywhere. So I went back into the building, but had to call the police to forward me to Bio Prof's office so that he would let me in because the building was locked. Right about then the policeman showed up and reprimanded us. "The governor has declared a state of emergency!" "No non-essential driving unless it's an emergency!" Judging by Bio Prof's reaction to the discovery that the freezer was off, I'd say it was an emergency. He would have lost all his hard-earned cell samples. Experiments down the tube! That's certainly an emergency. (Wait, I can't even figure out if I'm being facetious or serious here. I think I'm actually leaning towards serious, but with a comical twist.)

So after we established that the freezer was actually working and the experiments were going to be okay, we headed out into the snow. We stopped to help another crazy prof get out of the parking lot. I was very concerned that he wouldn't be able to get out either because his car was just as low as mine. Bio Prof drove a truck, so we were fine for the most part. Then we tried to move my car back into a parking spot, but it was still not going anywhere. So Bio Prof drove me to my house and somehow managed to make it safely back to his house, too.

Yep, I'm pretty much stuck here until Friday, when we'll make a last-ditch effort to get my car out of the parking lot. What a day! I just hope I don't go stir-crazy with just my cat to occupy my time. I talked with another grad student over the phone and she's already going stir-crazy since her roommates are out of town, and she hasn't been out of the house all day. Alas, we both plan to work on school stuff. Hmmm, let's see if I actually do that (instead of blogging perhaps??).

Stay safe out there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home