Tuesday, November 06, 2007

So I think I'm experiencing burn out...

I spent all Sunday writing three quarters of the final, the practice exam, and almost the whole lecture for this week. Now I'm just tired of it. I would rather be playing around on the internet instead of working. And so I've recently come to the conclusion that becoming a professor would be a really bad idea. Grad school is hard enough, I don't want to be teaching more than this, I don't want to be working all day and all evening and all weekend long. I want a life, I want to enjoy downtime with my family and friends. I want my work life to be restricted to the hours between 8am to 5pm. I want grad school to be over with! Done! Completed! Finito!! I want this all to be just a bad memory from the past to be tucked into a corner or burned out of my memory. I used to like grad school, but then I started teaching at the same time that I started working on my dissertation. And that was it...no more fun, no more enjoyable research, no more classes for me to join in on discussions (okay, I do have one more semester of classes).

And now I'm changing dissertation topics in midair, but what a relief it seems to be. And I only have about 4 weeks of classes left. That is a relief except for the fact that I have massive amounts of writing left to do that I haven't been doing all semester because teaching is all-consuming and totally draining. Let's see...I suppose I'm just going to have to make it through to the end of the semester. Then I only have two more semesters if I can pull off this whole dissetatin' thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home