Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Philosophical mumbo jumbo

I just finished reading an article for class tomorrow and I was quite surprised at one of the articles that my instructor picked for us to read. It was all about conceptual confusion in educational psychology and how psychologists fall prey to fallacies, such as reification of constructs. Yada, yada (which is code for the fact that I'm not going to attempt to explain that statement). Instead, I left the reading with one of those philosophical gushy feelings of floating on air. I'm feeling this way because the article questioned fundamental assumptions that we make as a field. But, we are so close to our work that we cannot step back far enough to notice the assumptions we have made, which are supposedly based on fallacies.

Really, the only way out seems to be to recognize that "cognition" is "situated" in "context." Is it me, or does that statement sound like just another post-modern fad that the field is taking? But, all that does is restate the simple adage that "multiple variables contribute to an outcome" in a much more eloquent manner couched in a philosophical discussion. And just last week the practically-minded educator in our class made the very same statement couched in simplistic verbiage regarding the act of teaching.

But, I doubt that half the class is going to understand this paper (read: neither do I). Sigh...

1 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jael said...

Hum, I'd like to read it. From what you said it sounds like it is saying what a lot of scientists say about how Psychology is not a true science. And I agree with that. There is research and there is statistics, but it's not really proven, it's more of what you believe. Humans are too unpredictable, that's what I love about the subject. Sounds like maybe those "falacies" may just be thngs that are not completely 100% proven? Or did I just misunderstand you? But on a wider scales, who cares? As long as one is aware that falacies exist and all humans are different and there will never truly be a right way for everyone I don't see the harm in it. It makes it more exciting to me, ever changing and nothing is permanent. How ironic is that? I hate change and I am so uncomfortable with it and yet it is exactly what I love about people and psychology. Look! I had a revelation. Thanks Kiki!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home