Friday, November 13, 2009

The Weekend

An update on my sister: She really enjoyed meeting with her therapist. They just talked about symptoms and symptom management. And it turns out her therapist had panic attacks before, but she managed the attacks and doesn't get them anymore. I think hearing that made my sister feel much better. I'm really glad for her.

In other news, I was going to travel back to my grad university's town for a bachelorette party. But, the weather predicted snow, so I canceled. My fiance was planning a bachelor party tomorrow, too. Instead of canceling, he drove up before the snow was forecast to start, even though the forecasted snow goes all the way through Sunday night. He figures he'll stay with his friend all weekend, even through Sunday night if need be. Needless to say, I was very upset with him; I tried to get him to stay home but he resisted. Before he left, he asked me to grab dinner and meet at his apartment. I was still very angry and downed my food as I sulked; I could tell his expression was downcast out of the corner of my eye. As I ate silently I started to think about the premarital counseling sessions on the biblical roles and responsibilities of the husband and wife (to love and to obey, respectively). I also thought about the book my aunt and uncle sent us as a wedding present titled, "Love and Respect." Obedience and respect for the man is provided by the woman, and love for the woman is provided by the man. I tried to put myself in my fiance's shoes, and I realized that I would be exerting control over him that would be demoralizing if I demanded he stay home and he had to comply. Even if I think he's making the wrong decision, I might as well honor that decision. So I just hugged him, and told him I was only concerned about his safety. The tension in the air subsided, and within minutes he told me he loved me. As soon as I responded by respecting his decision, he responded with love. There must be something to all this love and respect business after all. I still worry about him traveling in the snow this weekend, and I hope that he'll be more willing to accept my input in future decisions or I might be the one to become demoralized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home