Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Teaching...it's so much better this semester

Now that I'm over the hump of teaching the supplemental material, I've settled into teaching the Myers text. I have never appreciated Myers more. I just have to say the supplemental text was horrendous. The students didn't understand it and neither did I. But, I've taught two lessons since the supplemental text, and I've actually enjoyed it. Of course, I love the neurosciences, and it's such a relief to teach it. I'm hoping this enjoyment will last into some of the other topic areas that I know less about. I'm definitely feeling more comfortable teaching in front of the students. Bit by bit, I've moved away from the traditional lecture mode, and it has made a world of difference. There's also a world of difference between teaching in front of the students as a lowly graduate student and teaching as an assistant professor with a Ph.D. My confidence level has enjoyed leaps and bounds since I got that title, and it's associated pay. But, I largely credit some of the changes to the extensive faculty development I received during new faculty orientation last summer. The learner centered approach they taught us makes more sense to me now. The engagement with the students is much higher, and I think students are learning more with this approach. I've also been learning about the students and their lives. They told me about their "hall brawls" and techno raves today before class. I had to laugh. It's good to hear that they still have a little fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home