Saturday, December 03, 2005

Last Day of Class

Ahhh, this was the last day of class. The last day came and went, but I'll see my students at least one more time for the final. I always have such sad feelings about classes ending. I feel like we've been experiencing this reciprocal relationship, this collective experience that has just abruptly ended, never to be renewed again in the same form.

It's funny, but I think that I go through a period of mourning for a class. I think I am ready to let go and start yet again next semester with a new set of classes to become attached to, but I won't be teaching a class, though. I'm also mourning the fact that I won't have consistent office hours next semester when other graduate students can expect to see me if they want to drop by and talk. That will actually produce a much greater sense of mourning, and I'm not ready to move on from that yet.

Yes, this is unusual, and no, I'm not crazy or emotionally unstable, just sensitive, empathetic, and nostalgic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home