Thursday, October 05, 2006

Class was awesome today...

I basically took over class today. We were talking about the philosophy of science and how stucturalism differs from logical positivism. It was bizarre because I really couldn't get into the article last night (yes, I "sometimes" wait until the night before to read; I'm trying to keep the info fresh in my mind, people!). I agonized and kept shifting to other projects. I even fell asleep in the early evening trying to read this article! But, somehow today I remembered even specific passages in the article and kept bringing up concepts from the article like as if I had deeply read it (cough! cough!).

So the prof (not to be confused with fav prof in the posts below) asked if we had any questions about the terms or anything else and that pretty much let loose a barrage of questions from me. We spent about an hour and a half bantering back and forth. I think one other grad student said something before I took over again and I tried to get another grad student to talk because I knew she had specialized knowledge on systems theory and I wanted to know more.

Is it just impossible to get a word in edgewise with me or am I the only one who is willing to ask questions? (Luckily, I don't think my questions are stupid, because as my research buddy declared, there IS such a thing as a stupid question, he, he.) Not only am I willing to ask questions, but the questions keep coming and we ended up having a pretty fascinating discussion.

Now here comes the part where I applaud myself...I talked with one of the other grad students afterwards and she said the she really enjoyed class and got a lot out of our discussion. Later I sent out an email to let everyone know that they could pick up the next article for class and the aforementioned grad student with specialized knowledge emailed me back. I don't think I should paste her words without her permission, but she said something to the effect of how much she enjoyed listening to ME. She thought I had a good grasp of philosophy issues and that the questions I asked helped to clarify things for everyone else. Then she said "WAY TO GO!" Like, I'm about to cry here people. It means so much to me to get this kind of positive feedback from other grad students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home