Wednesday, October 11, 2006

In which I try to become as interdisciplinary as possible

An amazing opportunity fell into my lap a couple weeks ago. An alum decided to create a neuropsychology externship for a grad student in the psych department. So I put it my curriculum vitae, as did one other grad student. Because there was two of us who expressed interest, the Neuropsychologist from the Hospital had to interview us both. The other grad student interviewed last week and she told me that she didn't really want the position, it's too much of a time commitment. So I interviewed today and it went okay. He seemed to indicate at the end that he still needed to find out if the position would be accepted by the administrators and then he would let me know. Since I don't know business-speak very well, I'm assuming that means he decided I fit the position better (which I do, the other grad student was just looking for any old practicum because it's a requirement for the Ph.D.).

For some reason, I don't think I'm as excited as I would have been years ago. Long ago in a land far, far away I made a difficult decision between Cognitive Neuroscience and Clinical Neuropsychology. I chose the former and I feel like it is a little unusual to have this opportunity to see what I would have missed out on. In fact, this opportunity is almost impossible to come by, I actually tried to apply for a neuropsych technician job after leaving my previous program, but I didn't get the job because my master's was not clinical. I'm almost a little hesitant about the position. What if I like it so much that I begin to regret my choice of NOT getting my Ph.D. in Clinical Neuropscyhology? Yech!

Therefore, I'm going to believe the title of this post. My education is pretty diversified: Experimental Neuropsychology master's, some Cognitive Neuroscience with fMRI thrown in, as well as Educational Psychology filled to the brim with philosophy and measurement theory. I've already had a chance to find out what it is like to be a project coordinator of a major research grant in a Research Center. Now I get to check out what it is like to be a neuropsych technician.

By the end of all this, I'll probably decide that being a prof is where it's at. Yep!

2 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger The Little Student... said...

I can understand your feelings about choosing between cognitive neuroscience and neuropsychology. For me the latter choice was a better fit. I love clinical neuropsychology and find it to be a great field for me. However, I do have times when I wonder if I would have rather gone into cognitive neuroscience.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger kiki said...

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that you struggled with the same choice. I think that the best fit for me is doing research. And I wouldn't mind doing research in clinical neuropsychology. But, perhaps I'll end up as a professor, researching away on something related to cognition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home