Saturday, November 11, 2006

Breakneck Speed

Yep, I decided to take up New Prof's offer to basically include him as an advisor and potentially get funding from him. Although, when I talked with him today, there seemed to be a little less assurance that he would be able to fund me. I think he was just exaggerating a little yesterday to impress me or something like that. So we'll have to see what's going to happen. But, he seems like he's up to the challenge. And it seems like he would actually commit to advising me; whereas, I have to push for and seek out advising from most other people around here. It seems to have already had some profound effect on me in terms of causing me to feel like there's somebody interested and invested in what I accomplish short and long term. And therefore, I'm working much harder on this than I would have otherwise been doing. Interesting....

He was also very excited when I said that I'd be interested in co-teaching with him next semester. It was actually very comical. He was searching on his computer for something to send me and simultaneously telling me something about class. It reminded me that I wanted to mention the co-teaching thing to him and as soon as I did, he dropped everything and faced me with a big smile on his face, saying "Really!!! What do you want to teach?!?!" I laughed, as I always do. But, it was very funny. I think he enjoys teaching. He's won tons of teaching awards, so it will probably be very good for me to learn from him. He wanted to immediately go talk to the Department Chair about seeing whether there might be some money for me to co-teach with him. I'm not sure how that's going to work out, especially since I seem to be requesting a lot from the Department Chair lately. But, it seemed like I had just made New Prof's day. Ha, ha!! We might work on Child and Adolescent Psych together. He decided to go topical rather than chronological just to shake things up. This will be great!

Now if I can only manage to remain sane next semester as I juggle a Neuropsych externship, three classes, co-teaching, and three research projects. No wonder New Prof thought I was doing more than most faculty here. It's just cause I'm insane. No sane person would take on this much. Hmm...something's gotta give....

2 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger A said...

Ouch, tough schedule. Good luck with that. But possible funding and a committed advisor, yay! Congratulations!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger kiki said...

Thanks! Yep, this new advisor will be interesting. We both seem to analyze each other in the midst of our converstation and everything we say has all these double meaning the we each pick up on, in addition to our facial expressions holding extra meaning. I'll definitely be challenged by this New Prof.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home