Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Ahh! Divine Discipline!

My Pastor taught on receiving the correction of God last Sunday (See Hebrews 12). Let me tell you, if you have never heard a message on divine discipline, you are missing out! (and uninformed as to the ways of God). I was chuckling a little through the message because I had just come out of a year of divine discipline and I could totally relate to everything Pastor was saying. (I think it was two years, but God definitely kicked it up a notch in the second year.)

After church, I related a funny story about a minor chastisement I received from the Lord. It is such a hilarious story to me. So here goes...

Last summer I was getting ready to mow the lawn as my previous boyfriend was preparing to sand the table. Before we started, he told me about his trip to visit his sister the previous weekend. Unfortunately, on the way back, as he gassed up, he got distracted and left his gas cap at the gas station. He drove a considerable distance completely unaware that he was missing his gas cap. Then he had to buy a new gas cap because it was too far away to return and retrieve it. I commiserated and felt sorry for him. But then I remembered that he has a tendency towards distractibility and forgetfulness. My ego kicked in and I stated that I had never lost my gas cap before. I've never been distracted so much that I've ever done anything like that. In fact, this sort of thing would never happened to me.

Then we parted ways to go about our tasks, his to the sanding, and mine to the lawn mowing. I pushed the lawnmower out back and filled up the gas tank for a full day's mowing. Then my adorable kitty walked towards me, mewling. Of course, I dropped everything to pet her and give her attention. As I returned to the lawnmower, I started the mower up and pushed off into the grass. A strange clunking and ripping sound arrested me, and I immediately turned off the mower. To my embarrassment and consternation, the cat had distracted me into forgetting to twist the gas cap back on and I had just mowed over the gas cap. I whipped off the bag and shook the gas cap out. It was so badly mangled and cut that it could no longer be used.

I wailed, beat my chest, tore my clothes and sat in the dust, if I was an Israelite, that is. Since I wasn't, I just immediately repented of my pride and the words I had just spoken to my previous boyfriend. I begged God for forgiveness and then ran inside to apologize to my boyfriend and beg forgiveness. Let me tell you, I was so embarrassed and fully chastised that my boyfriend had to comfort me.

This was not the end of the story, though, as I had neglected to mention the rest of the story at church. God is so merciful and kind that he actually rewarded me next. We looked up a store that might be open and carry gas caps on a Saturday. We immediately drove over there and bought the gas cap (my embarrassment flared up again at the counter when I had to ask for a gas cap). Right next door to the store was an antique shop. I really wanted to go in just for a peek (I love antiques!) and discovered the most beautiful three panel antique screen (from 1917). It was exactly what I had been praying to God for because I didn't have any place to keep the cat boxes, so they were pushed to the side of my den, but right in the open for everyone to see. I wanted a three panel screen to hide the cat boxes and I had actually petitioned God for it (I highly recommend asking God for specific things; He does want to give you good things and knows the desires of your heart). So I bought the screen and placed it where I needed it. Needless to say my embarrassment completely gave way to joy and satisfaction.

Moral of the story: Don't be prideful, because if God loves you, He won't hesitate to reprimand you. But, when He does and you display a contrite heart, He may just reward you. (I believe there is a little known corollary to the commandment concerning worshipping idols. It reads something like this, "Thou shalt not puff thyself up as thine own idol.") ;)

By the way, here's a pic of my antique three panel screen:

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home