Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Photomontage of my antique-table-refinishing project: Part 2


Then we applied the second coat of polyurethane finish. The table looked so much better with a second coat on. You can't really tell from the pictures, though.

Here's the other side of the table after the second coat of finish. The kind we used was so strong and hard that I think it would resist anything. Although, I'm still concerned about cat scratch marks. Luckily, Megan hasn't shown any tendency to scratch the legs, even though wood is her favorite thing to sharpen her nails on.

Here is the finished product! Isn't this table absolutely gorgeous? It was worth the whole seven months it took us, working on this table only on the weekends.

Here I am proudly posing with my table. It turned out far better than what I imagined it would look like. My advice to those of you who want to start a do-it-yourself refinishing project? Start small and get a boyfriend whose hobby is carpentry!

3 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Kimberly Brixey said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations on a job well done. Even if it took entertaining a boyfriend to get-r-done, that counts. It's harder work than we get credit for!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger kiki said...

Yes, and that table had all these nooks and crannies. It was so difficult to get all the paint off and to sand inbetween all those areas. And my boyfriend and I seemed to really compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses. I was a little bit better at stripping and varnishing because he couldn't see up close very well with his glasses. (Sometimes he couldn't tell he was leaving streaks in the varnish!) But, he was far better at sanding because he had more patience than I. I finally just gave over the sanding job to him completely! My boss loaned me his profile sander as well. It was a life saver for hitting those nooks and crannies. I learned soo much about refinishing furniture. But, the job would have been no fun to do by myself at all. For projects this big, it really makes a difference to work together with others. It makes the work more fun and keeps you motived and it gets done faster, if you consider 7 months fast!!

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now THAT is one nice table!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home