Saturday, February 10, 2007

Back from INS conference

I'm back from the International Neuropsychological Society conference with one small revelation: I'm not that interested in neuropsychology anymore. In fact, I was bored out of my mind during the paper sessions on the first day. The only thing I found interesting and exciting was the paper session on measurement equivalence for various neuropsych tests across different patient populations and normal controls. Yes, that solidifies it. I'm no longer interested in substantive areas except where they may serve as a backdrop for issues in measurement and assessment.

However, I did enjoy myself when it came time to present my poster and the other grad student's poster. I didn't feel like it was very important to stand by the other grad student's poster the whole session, so I meandered off and pestered a few other people about their posters. I may have a couple new potential collaborations, which is the last thing I need to be adding to my plate, but...oh well. I'm excited to say that one of the conference attendees came up to me while I was in front of my own poster and asked if I was an assistant professor at insert-name-of-my-university-here, because he just got a position as a prof at a university within the same state and not too far away. I was a bit surprised. Finally! I now look older than I am, apparently. And I give off the impression that I'm more advanced in my career than I actually am. I was quite pleased. So I explained that I was still a grad student, but that I often confuse myself for a professor, so I can understand how he might, too. He, he, he. Then I went on to say how I sometimes accidentally refer to my colleagues as if they were my grad student advisees. Yikes. He, he.

Anyhoo, Research Associate #1 came to the last day of the conference and he chimed in later with his own assessment or impression of me. Apparently, he thinks I have a big ego. Once, again, I was surprised (well, maybe not THAT surprised). But, he's also the one who thinks Fav Prof has a big ego, when Fav Prof is very much aware of such things and purposely engages in behaviors that give off impressions that are not truly accurate if you look below the surface. I would have to say the same for myself. I like to act egotistical sometimes, but I'm usually being facetious and making fun of the institute of higher edu-ego. You know, intellectuals are no different from people who value fame, youth, and beauty. Many intellectuals undergo plastic surgery to enhance their egos. They spend a great deal of time comparing each other on intellectual ability and idolize those who are the most intellectual amongst themselves. Our beauty contests take the form of citation contests. And our fancy cars are the most prestigious journal articles in which we manage to publish. Our Oscars and Grammys are the verbal acknowledgements of our research findings by the speaker of the invited plenary. Ahh, the list of analogies could go on, but we all get the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home