Monday, August 07, 2006

Oh, my gosh! I almost forgot I had a blog!

I have a very well-honed ability to put things off. My inability to get things done is incredibly well-practiced. Case in point, this is my fifth year of grad school in total and I'm nowhere near completion (sure, it spans three different programs, but still...). The best way to continue to accomplish nothing is to forget that you had intended to accomplish something in the first place. I sporadically experience vague notions that I have a great deal to do. But, luckily, these are quickly forgotten and I shrug off whatever it was. Tomorrow is the busiest day of my life and it keeps getting busier and busier. Thanks goodness Tomorrow never becomes Today or I might actually accomplish something.

School is starting soon and I feel very ambivalent about it. From the above, it can be inferred that I have not been accomplishing a few things. One could even say many things. Sometimes I would rather sit on my couch and explore the recesses of my own mind until the day fades into night. Such-and-such hangs over my head as ever-present evidence of things unaccomplished. In reality, it seems that whatever hangs over my head must exponentially increase with attached deadlines dangling over my brows before I take definitive action to reduce the cluttering To Do list. Ahh, deadlines define my world. But, could I impose my own deadlines? Not to save my life.

I love collecting books that I never read and reading books that are useless to me. My most recent read? I'm halfway through a book on parenting. Parenting?!? Hah! I don't even have my own child. Why didn't I read my book on common formative assessments or factor analysis or multifacet rasch analysis, even my new copy of the Journal of International Neuropsychological Society?

Hmm, let me see...I still need to finish data entry for my advisor, inventory collection for my other prof, catecholamine assay evaluation, article writing, abstract writing, grant writing, yada, yada, yada. And these aren't even the big things, just minor asides to the big things that I failed to accomplish. Wait a second! I don't remember assigning myself big things to accomplish. Phew! All is right with the world....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home