Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Where has my summer gone?!?

There's only a little over three weeks of summer left before classes start back up in the fall. Sigh! I wish summer could begin all over again because I have just that much work to do before school starts. I wanted to write articles for publication and read a couple of books; instead, I collected data and I feel like I did little else. Although, perhaps mentoring two high school-aged upward bound students was a large accomplishment in itself.

I've been bombarded with two instances in which I started something wholeheartedly believing I could accomplish it in a day. But, no...I make a small dent in the work and begin to realize that the work is far too much for a day's accomplishment.

It's so easy to get discouraged about that, especially since there is so little time before school starts again. Perhaps I should learn to manage my time better, but school overwhelmingly demands so much of my time. Not only will I be too stretched for time to accomplish what I had planned for the summer if I try to do it in the fall, but the small things that I enjoyed doing this summer may not be feasible for the fall, such as talking to my boyfriend every night for 30 minutes to an hour (or more).

Once again I am confronted with the very question I used to struggle so much with: do I lay aside building relationships to finish school on time, or do I enjoy relationships in order to get through the stress of schoolwork (risking a prolonged graduation date)? I suppose the best answer is a mixture of the two extremes. All in moderation...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home