Tuesday, January 16, 2007

School is in session!!!! ...But, now reality has set in...

I've been reading a few academic blogs and for those who have already started (lucky you) I get the sense that they are filled with dread or overwhelmed or simply unenthusiastic about school starting. So I asked everyone I saw today how they felt about school starting. "So, ready for school to start?" "I'm excited! How about you?" Again, the general sense is, "Meh." I was beginning to think that I was abnormal until my evening class when I talked with my two newer research assistants and they were both filled with excitement about school starting. I laugh! Somehow, I manage to surround myself in my inner research circle with people who are just as crazy about school as I am. He, he.

I was excited all day long. But, alas, I'm winding down and at work in the computer lab until 10:30pm, and I just realized that my schedule for the semester might wear me out. I'll be traveling an hour and a half to Big City for the Neuropsych externship on Sunday night, staying all day Monday, and spending the night with my sister. Then on Tuesday, I'll put in another four hours early in the morning, drive an hour and a half back to town, meet with a grad student, go to a three-hour class, and then spend the rest of the evening working in the computer lab until 10:30pm. Wow! And that's only the first two days. The rest of the week is just as jam-packed. And now I want to add in a 16-hour a week GRA in which I will have to log in my hours? Aaaaaahhhhhh! Although, one of the other consultants said I should log in hours while I'm working in the computer lab. He, he, he. I love it! I'll get paid to work in the lab, while I'm getting paid to simultaneously work on the GRA research projects. Yes!

Right, let me provide an update on the GRA. I got an email back from her today and she mentioned that I could come by today to chat if I was available. Wow! She's interested! So I dropped by after work and we discussed the position. There's one aspect of the job that would really interest me and is related to state assessments. And she's trying to fill five slots. So I practically have the job if I want it, which I do. The question is just being able to find time to do the job when my schedule is so full with the 12-hour a week externship, computer consultant job, classes, and far too much research. Yikes! So my approach is to deny potential future problems and take it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home