Monday, January 15, 2007

Well that's a surprise!

I can't believe the interesting coincidence that just occurred. Last week I was discussing different aspects of a future job in testing and assessment in school districts with my Dad and also with Fav Prof. Both mentioned the need to address testing of special populations, such as disability. I remember kicking myself because I declined a job opportunity involving just that topic last year. I applied for a GRA position with a center for disabilities research, but I didn't quite fit the job description. It turns out the interviewer brought me in because she wanted to see if I would be interested in being a project manager, not a GRA. I was a little surprised. I had just come from a grueling project manager position, and I didn't think I could do it and work on my degree at the same time. So I declined. But, last week I was kicking myself for having declined an opportunity to learn something that would be related to a future job.

So just this morning I checked my email and there it was... "That's a familiar name," I thought to myself. The person I had interviewed with for that GRA position last year sent me an email to personally invite me to apply for a new GRA position that was more directly related to the projects at the center. I was in shock. Last week I had just kicked myself for letting the opportunity slip past me and here I'm presented with the opportunity again! No more kicking! I'm applying and I hope to have a good chance at getting the GRA. I figure I have a good chance since the interviewer personally invited me to apply. It wasn't a mass email and she addressed me by my first name! She remembered me and wanted me to apply again! Huzzah! I'm amazed. This would be perfect if I could get the position. Tuition waiver up to 9 credits plus a stipend for 16 hours a week (now if I could just find 16 available hours...). And I'll be getting involved in projects in a research center. I'm so excited! I actually kind of miss the project manager position, maybe not the specific combination of people at that old position, but the rush, the feeling of doing something important, the access to data, the professionalism, the formality of it. Yes, I would like to get back into that.

Buzzing with excitement...can't wait to find out what happens next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home