Monday, August 18, 2008

Woes Unveiled

Last weekend was just not good. I was restless and disgruntled. I didn't get anything accomplished, and I was quarrelsome towards my boyfriend. Ugh....

But, today seems to have been a little better, partly because I spent a good portion of it engaged in school-related conversations with various people. I met with a research adviser to discuss a submission to SRCD and writing up an article to publish. Yes! One more possible publication and I don't have to be the driving force on it. I then met with my main adviser to revisit the possibility that I will have to scrap my current dissertation and start over because one of the committee members is flaking out. When asked, he keeps giving verbal assurance that he'll obtain permission to use the data, but he never contacts me to say he actually obtained permission. So my adviser wrote him an email with a deadline of two weeks. Bear in mind this whole process to obtain permission to use the data began last November, almost a full year ago.

I'm not looking forward to holding a new proposal meeting, writing everything from scratch (my original proposal was 100 pages long), and completing all of this in one semester. But, I am glad that I'm not under someone else's control now. The graduate school says I can change my topic, so I probably will. I'm going to go with what I've been researching as part of my job. I've already obtained verbal consent to use the data from them.

For some reason, I just feel better knowing that I have control again and that everything is up to me now. If I fail, it's because of me, not because of impediments from others.

I think I just might be ready to start the school year now....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home