Thursday, September 04, 2008

Grad Student Neuroses

I wonder what it will be like on the other side of the Ph.D. In my most dreadful moments, I imagine that it is going to be just like grad school, only I'll be making more money. I had a pretty strong case of grad student neuroses this weekend, culminating in the worst bout of it tonight. For my seminar class, I had to read three chapters and answer 9 to 13 questions on each chapter. I spent approximately 15 hours on it. And I agonized the whole week about whether I would get done in time. I was so frustrated by how much time it was taking me that I seriously considered dropping out of the class. I couldn't possibly spend 15 hours each week on the class, without even getting to the hard part at the end of the semester. But, we only made it through discussion on two of the chapters today and the prof said she would scale things down. So now I think I will still stay in the class, but my neuroses didn't end there. I was so tired that I decided to go see my boyfriend and go out to dinner to get my favorite chicken wings. But, on the way over, severe anxiety hit. I feared that I had made the wrong decision and that I should be working tonight. So after I got there and explained to him, I turned around and went back home to eat leftovers. Bleck! Life really sucks. So now I'm thinking to myself, is this what it's going to be like to be an assistant professor on the tenure track? Because if it is, life is going to suck for a really long time. Maybe I should just content myself with a slew of temporary adjunct positions....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home