Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My boyfriend thinks my Dad looks like Hitler

My Dad does not look like Hitler; he just happens to have dark hair and a mustache. But still, I get a kick out of my boyfriend's first impression of my Dad. Invoking the personality of Hitler!! Or at least the physical appearance of said deceased dictator. Unlike Hitler, my Dad is a very humorous, pleasant person to play mini golf with. My boyfriend's character appraisal of my Dad? He's funny and an idea man.

My Dad enjoyed meeting my boyfriend as well and said positive things about him. Yep, he's a great guy. I think the funniest thing about the whole day was when my Dad asked my boyfriend about his military experience in Taiwan and my boyfriend explained that he was the basic training camp counselor. My Dad snorted and lurched forward while dropping his spoonful of food back onto his plate. Ohh! I laughed so hard. Let's just say my Dad was surprised to hear that a military camp provided counselors who made sure the troops were happy and entertained.

The other part of the day that made me laugh was when my boyfriend was talking about having a close relationship with his parents. Now that they are getting old, he wants to visit them as much as possible (implying that they could croak any time now). So my Mom asked him how old his parents are and he replied 57 and 60. My mother yelled, "What??" And I laughed hysterically as my boyfriend looked on in confusion. My parents are the exact same age as his parents and my Mom didn't want to be considered old. She thought my boyfriend was going to say 80. In fact, she works with the elderly; she is not considered one of the elderly.

My boyfriend explained to me that conditions for living are so cramped and polluted in Taiwan that the average life expectancy is 75. So he wants me to explain to my mother that life expectancies are different in the US and Taiwan, leading to different perceptions of "old." So I'll encourage my Mom not to think of herself as old and that my boyfriend doesn't think she's so old as to die any time soon. Other than that, my Mom periodically volunteered her high opinion of my boyfriend and my boyfriend likes my mother as well.

But, all in all, it was an entertaining day (for me anyways;)).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home